COVID-19 Info


Partner2Care is a service provided by Sirona care & health (Sirona). We are working in close partnership with Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group (BNSSG CCG) to offer our Personal Health Budget (PHB) holders and their support staff the most up to date information and guidance on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Please view the below information, guidance and useful links:


Guidance for People Receiving Direct Payments

Using Direct Payments During the Coronavirus Outbreak

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance and Support

Stay at Home Guidance

Stay at Home Guidance for Households with Possible Coronavirus Infection

Staying Alert and Safe Social Distancing

Staying Safe Outside Your Home

FAQs - What You Can and Can't Do 

Guidance for Supporting Adults with Learning Disabilities and Autistic Adults


Guidance Update for People Who are Shielding

Plans to Ease Guidance for People Who are Shielding

Shielding Guidance for Young People

Shielding and Returning to Work

Guidance for Looking After People Who Lack Mental Capacity

Guidance for Looking After People Safely at Home

Working Safely During the Coronavirus Outbreak

NEW: 20th December 2020

Guidance on Shielding and Protecting Very Vulnerable Persons





Here are other links that are translated/easy read information:

Easy Read Guidance on Shielding

Easy Read Guide to Advocacy and Rights During The Coronavirus Crisis


Department of Health and Social Care

The Department of Health and Social Care have developed a Coronavirus Q&A for people receiving Personal Health Budgets. You can view this here

In Control

In Control have created a webpage where they are sharing useful links and templates. They are also asking for suggestions and submissions of useful documents. They have held a webinar to discuss the challenges and potential solutions. The link to the website is 
They are also working on a 'top tips' document from questions that were raised during the webinar. The webinar is on the website, but is also available on YouTube here:

The 'Be Human' movement, hosted by Disability Rights UK and In Control, has set up a register to record the experiences of disabled people and people with long-term health conditions in accessing health and social care and treatment for COVID-19 during the time of the pandemic.
They want to hear about experiences, both good and bad, to help if appropriate and learn for the future.
More information can be found here


ACAS, the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service have developed advice for employers and employees regarding COVID-19. This advice is for all employers and employees, not just those in health and social care. It is reviewed daily in line with government announcements. The advice can be found here

Skills for Care
Skills for Care's website will be regularly updated with the latest guidance to support PHB holders and PAs during this challenging period. Their guidance can be found here.

North Somerset Council

The latest information on North Somerset Council's response to COVID-19, their services and how to get support can be found here.

For information on Safeguarding Adults and Children to include Crimestoppers raising awareness of domestic abuse and Government COVID-19 Guidance for Children’s Social care, please click here.

☎️ A telephone service has been launched for those who do not have access to the internet. The number is 01934 427 437.

Guidance from GOV.UK for employers with personal assistants:



Guidance from Mark Bates Ltd Insurance for employers with personal assistants:






* Chancellor extends furlough scheme until March 2021

The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme has been extended until March 2021 to support workers for a further 5 months.


Q. Where can I get medical advice if I am concerned about the Coronavirus?

A. The Government are urging you to follow the NHS guidance which is being kept up to date on their website

At present the public are being asked not to go to the GP or even to call NHS 111 unless you cannot cope with your symptoms at home, your condition gets worse or your symptoms do not get better after 7 days.

Q. Who needs to self-isolate under current measures?

A. If one person in any household has a persistent cough or fever, everyone living there must stay at home for 14 days.

My employee has self-isolated as they or someone in their household have shown signs of a consistent cough or fever; What do they do?

Self-isolating employees are legally defined as being unfit to attend work. They should therefore notify you of their intention to self-isolate in accordance with your sickness and absence procedures.

Q. What are their rights?

A. They have the right to remain away from work for a period of 14 days from the symptoms becoming known. You can find detailed Government guidance on staying at home due to a possible Coronavirus infection here

As the employee is considered to be unfit for work, they are entitled to statutory sick pay (if eligible) from day one of the absence.

Statutory sick pay is payable to employees who:
- are employees or workers (includes zero hours and casual workers) and have earned on average £118 per week over the last 8 weeks, and
- have given you the correct notice

If the employee is not eligible you must provide them with the SSP1 form to explain why, which will allow them to present a claim for possible benefits.

Statutory sick pay is paid at a rate of £94.25 per week, rising to £95.85 from 6th April 2020.

The Government have announced that they will repay payments of SSP, up to 14 days, for each employee.

If your employee is genuinely poorly with the virus themselves, they may well need more than 14 days. The NHS would expect to hear from them if symptoms have not alleviated after 14 days and so it is likely that further medical treatment and testing would be required at that stage. If the sickness absence persists beyond 14 days your normal sickness reporting procedures will apply, as will ongoing payment of SSP. At this stage you may feel it appropriate to obtain medical evidence to support the claim for ongoing SSP.

Q. What about medical evidence?

A. In normal cases of sickness absence, you can ask the employee for a medical certificate, after the first seven days of absence. Under circumstances of self-isolation however, it is not advisable that you press for such evidence as the current guideline to self-isolating employees is that they are not to go to the GP. It would also be impossible for you to demand evidence of another householder’s private medical affairs where someone else is the reason your employee is self-isolating.

Q. What do I do to get the support I need?

A. You can call upon your usual resources when employees are on sick leave.

If you have other employees, you may be able to compel them to attend work to cover absences. Check your contract of employment to see how clear your rights are. Casual workers may be called upon to fill in hours also.

If you have no other employees, use of a temporary agency may work for you. Speak to your local Direct Payments pr Personal Health Budget support team urgently if you cannot manage to get replacement cover yourself, particularly if you want to employ family members who live with you on a temporary basis.

Q. I and/or someone in my household have shown symptoms of the virus; What do I do?

A. The current guidance is that if one person in any household has a persistent cough or fever, everyone living there must stay at home for 14 days. The purpose of this provision is to try to prevent the spread of infection. You can find detailed Government guidance on staying at home due to a possible Coronavirus infection here Stay at Home Guidance

Q. If I self-isolate does that mean I go without care?

A. No. The Government are urging everyone to stay at home and where possible to allow employees to work from home. However, it is recognised that you may not be able to manage without your Personal Assistant(s) and so you are not under an obligation to remove your employees from the household.

Where you continue to receive employee support at home you remain under an obligation to ensure that there is a safe system of work in place and that the employees are provided with Personal Protective Equipment and clothing (PPE) where necessary. You will find Government guidance on good practices in the following Government guides:

Stay at Home Guidance

The Government continue to increase budgets for Local authorities and NHS CCG’s to ensure you get the help that you need, and that Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is available, despite high national demand.

Make sure that new health and safety rules and procedures are always fully explained to your workers and ensure to enforce them. Ideally, a record should be made of the measures you have implemented and keep records of PPE obtained and used in your home.

Q. What do I tell my employees to do?

A. Assuming your employees are themselves fit and willing to attend work, they should carry on fulfilling their duties. It is essential that they take very seriously any new rules on health and safety procedures you implement. It is not just for their own protection but also to prevent the spread of infection to other people in the household, fellow colleagues and the public at large when leaving your home.

Employees should not remove stocks of PPE from your home and they should notify you in advance of stocks becoming low to allow you plenty of time to re-stock.

Q. I would rather not have my employees come into my home whilst my household is self-isolating, and I believe I can cope without paid support for 14 days, what are my employee’s rights?

A. For permanent employees who work regular hours you may find that there is a right in the contract to put them on a period of lay off. This means a temporary suspension of their work and pay. Please note that this will only apply if your contract is very clear that you have a right to lay off the employee under these circumstances.

An employee on lay off has a right to statutory guarantee pay which is up to £29 per day (rising to £30 from 6th April 2020) and is only payable for the first five days of absence.

If you do not have a lay off clause you can ask the employee not to attend work and pay them in full during the absence. If there is a lay off clause, but you want to pay your employee anyway, it would be sensible to check with your funding body (Local authority or CCG) to make sure they are happy for you to pay it.

If you use casual or zero hours workers and work has not already been agreed in advance, you do not have to offer them work during this time.

The Government have suggested that people over 70, those who are pregnant and those with serious health conditions are high-risk and should consider social distancing for 12 weeks;

Q. I or someone in my household fall into that category, but I still need care, what can I do?

A. You can social distance and avoid going out in public as the Government have recommended, but still have workers come into your home to provide care. Of course, if no one in the household has any symptoms of the virus and neither do the workers, there isn’t strictly a need to put in place stringent health and safety procedures above and beyond your current regime. However, as you are a high-risk household you can choose to insist on greater standards and hygiene and care from your workers.

Q. I am in the high-risk category and do not want to take the risk of having workers coming into my home, I’d prefer to have unpaid support from family for a 12 weeks period, what can I do?

A. This depends on your circumstances. Such a large gap in cover from an employee would usually result in terminating the employee’s contract on grounds of redundancy, as their work has diminished and they are no longer required. However, you probably want to re-instate the employee once the 12 week period is over and so wouldn’t want the suspension of their duties to be permanent.

As you have a direct payment as a result of a care and support plan, any changes you make will need to be agreed with your funding body. Speak to your Direct Payment or Personal Health Budget support team for guidance on the options which can be summarised as the following:

  1. Terminate the employee’s contract on grounds of redundancy. Your employee would be entitled to a statutory redundancy payment if they have completed two years service. You would also need to pay the employee in full for any notice period and annual leave which has been accrued and not taken.

  2. Pay the employee in full whilst they are not attending work. You should seek confirmation from your funding body before making this decision.

  3. If redundancy appears to be a very realistic option, meaning the employee faces the permanent termination of employment and there is no way to simply cover their full pay instead, the final option is to lay them off by mutual agreement. The unique circumstances may encourage an employee to go on a period of leave without pay, until such time as the 12 weeks has passed. In agreeing to a period of lay off, the employee gains the chance to keep their continuity of service in place and know they can return to work at the end of the 12 weeks. Holidays also continue to accrue at the same rate that they did while the PA was working. You could offer, in exchange for this agreement, to relax the rules on fidelity which would allow the employee to accept work elsewhere during the 12 weeks.

    Please remember that the Government are changing the law regularly to ensure they are taking the steps to protect the UK. It is possible that emergency legislation could be introduced that will allow you to lay off an employee without pay whether a contractual right exists or not. Please ensure you take advice if you are facing a long absence from your workers.

    Where 12 weeks of absence isn’t a realistic consideration for you remember that the employee has accrued annual leave which can be used to give them time off with full pay.

If you use casual or zero hours workers and work has not already been agreed in advance, you do not have to offer them work during this time.

Q. My worker is in the high-risk category but wants to continue to attend work, can I allow them to?

A. Yes, you can. The Government have made recommendations for high-risk individuals to stay at home, but it is not mandatory.

If your employee continues to attend work, it would be wise to increase your hygiene and health and safety procedures so you are doing everything you can to prevent the risk of spreading infection between you. Make a written record of steps you have taken to protect each other.

Q. My worker is in the high-risk category and is refusing to attend work, what can I do?

A. Under normal circumstances, an employee who isn’t sick but is refusing to attend work, would be in breach of contract that would justify disciplinary action, and potentially lead to termination of employment. However, under the circumstances, and given that they are acting upon Government guidance, it is far less likely that a dismissal on such grounds would be reasonable.

Those who are highlighted as being at risk and recommended to stay at home for 12 weeks, are also employees who have protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010. In cases of those with disabilities, you are under an obligation to make reasonable adjustments and alter working practices so they do not suffer a detriment. In the case of those with a comparably different age to the rest of your work force and pregnant women, you cannot allow them to suffer a detriment as a result of their protected characteristic. You must also not penalise these workers for having attempted to assert their rights.

For these workers, you may be able to simply agree that they remain away from work. You would have no obligation to pay them during this time, but holiday would continue to accrue as normal. Remember that accrued annual leave can be taken during this time. Speak to your local Direct Payment support team if you are struggling to arrange replacement cover.

For those who are pregnant and staying off work without pay, it is important to note that this could impact their rights to claim Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) when their maternity commences. To be eligible for SMP the employee must have earned an average of £118 per week during the 8 weeks prior to the qualifying week (the 15th week prior to the due date). A period of 12 weeks with no pay whatsoever could interfere with her average earnings. This issue may not stop her from taking the time out, but it is advisable for you to notify her of the risk. If she does not qualify for SMP when the time comes, she will need to apply to the Government for Statutory Maternity Allowance instead.

Q. As I want to self-isolate for a period, can I use the direct payment to employ and pay a family member who lives with me?

A. Most funding bodies have a restriction on your use of direct payments to employ a family member. However, considering Government guidance and drastic steps to keep vulnerable people from too much social interaction, you may find that the rules are relaxed temporarily. It is essential that you seek advice from your funding body before taking on a family member.

If the position is temporary, you can employ the family member on a casual contract so there is no ongoing obligation beyond the work you offer.

Q. Can I dismiss my PA and pay my family member instead?

A. It is generally not fair to dismiss an employee because of a preference for someone else. However, the restrictive measures in place for the movement of vulnerable people may be relevant. It is important to take specific advice before you decide to dismiss anyone.

Q. My employee is employed to help me socialise in the community. As I can’t go out anyway, do I have to keep them on?

A. If you are proposing to stay at home for a long time and you genuinely have no use for your employee, you may want to consider making them redundant as their work has diminished entirely. Make sure you have carefully thought through any alternative options and sought advice, before you decide and discuss with your PA.

Q. I keep hearing about home working, can I ask an employee to work from home?

A. It depends on the type of work that they carry out for you. Obviously, it wouldn’t work for personal care workers who need to be with you. But some employers will have duties to be fulfilled that can perhaps be done elsewhere. A worker who cooks meals could be asked to do so from their own home and deliver them to you. You may have someone employed to socialise with; it may be that with the use of technology this could be adopted from a distance, playing games online, or skype calling for example.

Many contracts will already provide a mobility clause which allows you to insist they work from another location. In cases where you are asking the employee to use their own equipment (such as their oven, telephones, internet access) it would be sensible to agree a payment of additional expenses to cover their costs.

Asking the employee to make changes to their work is fine so long as your request is a reasonable and lawful order. In such difficult times, it is likely that your request would be considered reasonable and most employees would be happy to know that their jobs are continuing in the meantime.

Q. What happens now schools are closing and my PA can't get childcare?

A. Employees have the right to take emergency leave to care for a dependant. This right includes the unexpected need to care for a child who cannot attend school. The right exists for a reasonable time to allow the employee to make alternative arrangements and the leave is without pay. What is 'reasonable' will entirely depend upon the circumstances. The Government have allowed placements for some children of key workers to continue. Key workers will include those caring for vulnerable people.

Some employees may be able to rely on family members or friends to help with childcare, but the chances are reduced more than usual as more people self-isolate or social distance for some time. The risk of spreading infections to the high-risk category of persons, such as grandparents over 70 or with health conditions, is one of the reasons the Government have held back on school closures so far.

You are encouraged to have good communication with your employee to ensure you are satisfied they have a genuine need to be away from work. Under the circumstances it is expected that a high number of parents will not be able to attend work for some time and will rely on unpaid parental leave rights. If they are eligible for such leave you cannot allow them to suffer a detriment because of it.

Please see the below information on how to best protect yourself and others from Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Easy Read Guidance on Shielding                               COVID-19 Infection Prevention and Control

Coronavirus: Public Information                                 Best Practice: How to hand wash

Catch it, bin it, kill it

7 steps of handwashing

NHS 111 online

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Under health and safety legislation there is a shared duty between employer and employee to maintain a safe work environment at all times and if PPE has been recommended (according to your CCG/Government guidance/Public Health England) it must be used.

Partner2Care are working hard to ensure PPE is provided to you as a PHB holder to protect you and your PAs.
Please submit your PPE order to us by noon latest every Monday for same week delivery/collection. To advise us of your PPE requirements please call us on 0800 111 4167 or email

In addition to this a member of our team will be in touch once a month to enquire how much PPE stock you have. Due to a national shortage of PPE we need to ensure we are safeguarding the acute services and front line staff that require constant access to PPE, but also ensuring at the same time you as a PHB holder are receiving the PPE you require.

We are also asking that for those who are able to, if you require PPE, that you come and collect your order from Castlewood, Tickenham Road, Clevedon, North Somerset, BS21 6FW. We understand that some of you will be unable to do this and we will still deliver where needed. However, as the team starts to return to their normal roles again this would be greatly appreciated.

When a PPE order is made we will let you know when it is ready and will ask if you can collect your order from Castlewood. You will be provided with a telephone number to call when you arrive and a member of the team will meet you outside the building with your PPE order.

FIT Testing

Our Trainer will FIT test your PAs for face masks (ensuring there is a good seal between a tight fitting facepiece and the wearer’s face) to ensure that PAs are safely able to provide care using face masks that are effective in protecting them and you from the spread of Coronavirus.

Please contact us if you have any queries realting to FIT testing.

How to put on your facemask

How to take off your facemask

Here is the Recommended PPE Guide including guidance on PPE in an individual's own home.

National guidance on the use of PPE can be found here.

PPE guidance for domiciliary care is also applicable for extra care housing and live-in carers:

Public Health England PPE resource for care workers delivering homecare during COVID-19


COVID-19 Testing

The Coronavirus National Testing Programme has now expanded to include all personal care assistants (PAs), across both health and social care, who are having to self-isolate due to having coronavirus-like symptoms or because a member of their household has symptoms.
Further information about the programme, including a note about the national testing programme, confirmation of employment and eligibility for testing - letter of ID and presentation slides can be found on Skills for Care’s specific COVID-19 pages for individual employers here.

As key/essential workers, PAs are eligible for free testing.

Further information about testing can be found at:

To self refer:


Testing Call Centre
A Testing Call Centre has been launched nationally.
The Coronavirus Testing Call Centre is available to assist eligible individuals through the process of booking and taking a test for Coronavirus.
The Call Centre handles all enquiries about the testing process, from how someone books an appointment, to what they do upon receipt of their result.
The Coronavirus Testing Call Centre can be contacted on 119 (in England and Wales) and 0300 303 2713 (in Scotland and Northern Ireland) between the hours of 7am – 11pm.
The service can be accessed by people with hearing or speech difficulties by calling 18001 0300 303 2713.

NHS Test and Trace

How it works



Coronavirus and Wellbeing

Looking after your mental health

The AWP Mental Health 24/7 telephone response line is 0300 303 1320.

The following links provides additional information on how to look after your mental health:


Support from Your Community

Do you need some support from your community? Help with shopping, medication or other essential supplies? Someone to give you a regular call to check-in whilst you are self-isolating?

Connect to support in your community by calling:

BRISTOL                                          NORTH SOMERSET                             SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE

☎️  0800 694 0184                         ☎️ 01934 427 437                              ☎️ 0333 577 4666

We Are Bristol                                North Somerset Together                  Southern Brooks

Access to Patient Transport Services (PTS)

There is access to transport for vulnerable individuals with urgent appointments. E-zec Medical can be contacted on 0300 777 6688 or visit

Resources for You

Here is a link to resources you might find helpful during this challenging time.


Contact Us

Find out More

Contact us